Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Poems by Celeste Santello

Mona

Mona Lisa, I’d pay to see you frown
I wonder if you would be as expensive with a pout
A smirk has a price tag but we never question a sulk
No barcode to scan, but you are composed of multiple digits
Only because of your history crown
If painted any other way, history and you would not have been formed

A Relationship Full of Cliches

Are you a fair weathered friend?
I’m shooting for the moon
Wishing upon a star
.. that who I think you are is not who you really are
.. that what I think you are doing is not what you are doing
I would be all bent out of shape
Chewing nails and spitting tacks,
And be would tighter than a spring
But, perception becomes reality

I knew it all along, but I did not want to admit it to myself
You are not a real friend

Dora’s House

At Nonna’s house
Expecting to see two hundred red plump vine tomatoes to make sauce
Their texture is a balance of soft and hard
As I hold the tomato, the smell of a freshly watered plant is present
Then I squeeze it,
SPLAT!

Nonna gives a stare but knows she has one hundred and ninety nine other tomatoes to use to make sauce

What’s in the Kitchen Cupboard?
Four light bulbs so I can see
With the light bulbs I am able to find the Billybee honey
I love Duncan Hines vanilla icing on my Duncan Hines chocolate cake
Fino salt makes good tasting food great
Knorr soup mix warms you up on a cold day
Nutella on bread or I can use it on the Duncan Hines chocolate cake as icing…
Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop Buttery (6) popcorn bags for Tuesday movie nights
Unico Romano Beans for my Father to imitate my Nonna’s amazing pasta faggioli



I Carry

In case I forget who I am, I keep my grade 9 Student ID
If I want to see who I have become, I keep my grade 12 Student ID
I carry
A HMV points card
And a music key chain along with the key
I carry
My iPod touch
I walk to the beat
I carry
Giftcards to purchase more products to cover my face
But, I look at my grade 9 Student ID to not forget who I am
And I keep my grade 12 Student ID to not forget who I have become

Confidence

When I am confident,
I feel a light in me shining
The amount of light I hold is enormous,
But I get scared when people see the light
I am scared of what people think of the real me
So, I prefer to stay depressed so no one pays attention to me

PA System

It speaks to me
It speaks to them
It screeches the National Anthem
It screeches the Morning Prayer
It is silent when there are no problems
It is silent when everyone is preoccupied
When it does not go on at least fourteen times a day,
There is no more speaking, no more screeching, no more silence
It is broken
All of us are thankful

No comments:

Post a Comment